Lately, my little one Ivaan, has been keen on eating pancakes for breakfast. It also happens to be my husband’s favourite choice. As breakfast is the most important meal of the day, I usually prefer to make something that’s freshly cooked and preferably healthy. So instead of making pancakes from the usual wheat flour (Maida), I’ve been trying out some new alternatives, and i’m glad that my boys liked today’s super-healthy pancake! But don’t let it’s looks fool you as it’s texture and colour seem like any other pancake you may have tried before. Today’s pancake is made from Oats and Amaranth. I believe many people are unaware of Amaranth & it’s health benefits, but this super healthy grain has a high content of rich minerals like iron, calcium & carotenoids. In fact, due to it’s rich content & texture, Amaranth is often referred to as a ‘pseudo cereal’ rather than a grain. It’s protein content too is much higher than oats or rice.
So I strongly recommend you to try this healthy pancake and give me your feedback. I imagine it would be difficult for most people to try out new recipes & breakfast options in the middle of the week, with the hustle and bustle that life throws our way, so I usually end up making something different or special on the weekends, when everybody’s schedule at home is a little relaxed. Today being a Sunday, I guess I can say I made a pretty good start with a power-packed breakfast! If you’re wondering about the shape of this teddy bear pancake, I thought my son would fancy it more as I didn’t let him know that I’ve changed the ingredients of today’s pancake. I was recently shopping for a few kitchenware products from a friend’s wholesale store and came across this cute cooking pan with a teddy bear mould, so instantly decided to buy it & make use of it for one of my kiddo’s meals. Well, today happens to be his day!
Super Pancakes of Amaranth & Oats
A super healthy pancake for a super Sunday!
- Roasted & powdered Amaranth - 2 Tbsp
- Roasted & semi powdered Oats - 3 Tbsp
- Wheat flour - 2 Tbsp
- Vanilla Essence - 1 Tsp
- Sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Milk/almond milk - 2 Cups
- A pinch of Salt
- 1/2 pouch of Eno or 1/2 Tsp of baking soda
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Step 1 Mix 2 Tbsp of Amaranth powder, 3 Tbsp of Oats powder and 2 Tbsp of wheat flour in a bowl and mix it well.
- Step 2 Add 2 Tbsp of powdered sugar, a pinch of salt, 1/2 Tsp of the baking soda & mix.
- Step 3 Add 2 cups of milk, 1 Tsp of vanilla essence, 1 Tbsp of butter and mix it well, ensuring all the lumps are broken to make a smooth mixture.
- Step 4 Heat up the pan for 1-2 mins.
- Step 5 Pour one spindle of the mix on the hot pan.
- Step 6 Flip it over after about 2-3 mins once you see small bubbles on the top layer.
- Step 7 Cook the other side until the colour is golden brown.
- Step 8 Serve hot & fresh with melted butter, maple or pancake syrup, or any other combination that you may prefer with your pancake.